Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Favorite iOS Games: Miriel the Magical Merchant



I will confess to having enjoyed Diner Dash back in the day. I've never played any of the sequels, and most time management games stress me out! So...  I tend to avoid them. I was pretty surprised when I got really drawn into Miriel the Magical Merchant (Iphone $1.99 / Ipad Free /Ipad $4.99). I played it on my iPod and I found the game to be very slick - both in execution and in graphics.  The levels got more and more complicated, but at a gradual pace that made the game feel very smooth. Instead of say, too many hard things at once overwhelming the player and them going up in flames, heh. I lean towards fantasy (settings, stories, etc.) so this was a perfect fit for me.

In Miriel, there is a cute little back story, and a hint of RPG as you can sometimes select what to say. You serve various fantasy village types throughout the game, running a bakery of sorts. You start with basic ingredients (water, flour, eggs) and as the game progresses you use those three in combination with various other elements in the game (which unlock as you progress) to serve the customers.




There is the typical upgrading of things (Miriel can eventually carry four things at a time), speed bonuses, and equipment upgrades (unlocking a second oven, speeding the ovens up) and so on.  At the end of the day, ones earnings are calculated and you are shown how many customers you have served (or lost from impatience) in addition to the average happiness level of the customers.




For all the levels that you don't get a perfect score on, you can go back and redo them again if you want to after completing the main story run. If you like Time Mangement games, I'd recommend Miriel. Assuming of course, you like a fantasy setting. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment